16710 Clifton Blvd. #1 • Lakewood, OH 44107 • (312) 505-0201 • firstname.lastname@example.org • http://www.lauraputre.com
- Write news and features for regional and national magazines, trade publications, and newspapers. Specialties include arts, culture, healthcare, long-form narrative, and travel.
- Feature stories published in O, the Oprah Magazine; Chicago Tribune; Chicago Reader; The Root.com; Hemispheres (United Airlines); Latitudes (American Eagle Airlines); The Advocate; Cleveland Magazine; and Indianapolis Monthly.
- Wrote the Cleveland sections for the Forbes Travel Guide: 2011 and Zagat: America’s Top Restaurants: 2011.
- Healthcare clients include Cleveland Clinic Magazine and the American Hospital Association. Write a monthly feature called “Extra Mile” for the AHA’s Hospitals and Health Networks magazine.
- Higher-education clients include University of Chicago Magazine; Lablife (University of Chicago Laboratory School); Think! The Magazine of Case Western Reserve University; John Carroll Magazine; and Fordham Magazine.
- Edit seven monthly alumni-e newsletters for Case Western Reserve University.
Writer/Research Assistant, Write Stuff Enterprises (Chicago, IL and Cleveland, OH) | 2008-2010
- Conducted archival research and ghost-wrote two corporate history books, on Brink’s Inc. and the Eaton Corp.
Editor, Chicago Journal (Chicago, IL) | Editor | 2003—2007
- Managed editorial for two downtown Chicago weekly newspapers with a combined circulation of 26,000.
- Assigned and edited stories; reported and wrote feature-length articles on city politics, downtown development, and neighborhood controversy and characters; recruited and supervised a pool of 20 freelancers and interns.
- Oversaw long-term and day-to-day operations; led the paper to a first place General Excellence Award from the Illinois Press Association in 2004.
Staff Writer, Scene (Cleveland, OH) | Editor | 1999—2003
- Wrote a weekly reported features column for this New Times Inc. alternative weekly (circulation: 100,000), on everything from a showstopping drum line at an inner-city high school to a beautician who moonlighted as a gossip columnist for a Slovenian newspaper.
- Generated several 3,500+ word cover stories each year, on subjects ranging from a religious cult in a local suburb to an in-depth profile on a controversial Cleveland councilwoman.
Entertainment Calendar Editor, Scene | Editor | 1998—1999
- Managed, edited and wrote most of the feature articles for a weekly calendar spread.
- Promoted after only 13 months to staff writer position.
Associate Editor, Free Times (Cleveland, OH)
- Wrote weekly news and feature articles and cover stories for this alternative weekly (circulation: 60,000).
- Edited articles from a team of 15 freelancers; assigned arts stories.
Copy Editor, Wichita Eagle (Wichita, KS)
- Worked part time in the lifestyles section of this major daily newspaper (circulation: 100,000) while attending graduate school full time.
Copy Editor, , Morning Journal (Lorain, OH)
- Edited copy from the evening news desk at this medium-size daily newspaper (circulation: 50,000).
Wichita State University (Wichita, KS) | MFA in Creative Writing
Kent State University (Kent, OH) | BS in Newspaper Journalism
Technical: Experience with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Dreamweaver. Training in Computer-Assisted Reporting at the Investigative Reporters and Editors Boot Camp.
Style Manuals: Associated Press and Chicago.
Writer, Epiphany Church, (Chicago, IL) 2006-2008. Interviewed parishioners for stories for the church’s website.
Volunteer, Rock for Kids (Chicago, IL), 2003-2005. Worked as an usher for their annual charity auction.
Volunteer, Friends of Near West Theatre (Cleveland, OH), 2001-2003. Helped plan fundraising events.
Board Member, Chicago Headline Club, (Society of Professional Journalists), 2006-2009. Helped plan events; managed membership database; recruited new members through special events and phone and email outreach.